Saturday, August 17, 2013

Words of a Volunteer

Debating is, without debate, one of the most trusted ways to develop one's ability not only to defend anything properly but to communicate, organize or, for example, respond quickly and appropriately.

As a volunteer of this tournament, I didn't really have the opportunity to debate. Come to think of it, I could debate the dishwashing or allocating the debating rooms with the organizers and the other volunteers. Still, I enjoyed the preparation of the rooms and also a role of the timekeeper that I experienced for the first time. Even though I couldn't participate in debating, I met several debaters from all over the world and made new friends. It was really exciting. Briefly, I fully enjoyed being a part of this event.

Unfortunately, I couldn't see the Grand Final because I had to leave for another event. However, the final round was recorded, I can therefore see it now on YouTube. So can you:

The final motion stated that 'This house believes that in the long run there is no hope to save Euro without a Federal Europe'. In spite of the fact that both teams – USA A and Canada Red – demonstrated outstanding performances, the cup was won by the Canada Red team. Big congratulations to them!

Believe it or not, we face debating in everyday life incessantly. People often have a lot of opinions  that they proclaim loudly. However, they're not always able to defend them. If you feel the importance of a well-stated argument, start attending a debating club. If you are already a member, or have some debating experience, remember: there will be Heart of Europe 2014 in a year!

Tamara Pagáčová

Czech Debate Society

No comments:

Post a Comment